Vivendi Buys Up Even More of Ubisoft’s Stock

Vivendi Buys Up Even More of Ubisoft’s Stock

Vivendi’s acquisition of Ubisoft isn’t slowing down, if recent actions taken by the French multimedia giant are to believed. The company announced today that they’ve bought up more stock in Ubisoft, despite the publisher’s clear desire to remain independent.

In a press release from Vivendi, the company announced that they now own more than 24 percent of Ubisoft’s shares. As GameSpot reports, they own 24.059 of share capital, and 21.296 percent of voting rights. Despite their current actions, Vivendi has claimed in the past that they aren’t planning a hostile takeover. No further comment has been supplied.

To deflect a possible takeover, Ubisoft appointed two new board members during a shareholder meeting in September. The hopes were that more independent directors would limit Vivendi’s ability to exert control over the publisher. The meeting wasn’t without its troubles though, with Vivendi abstaining from voting on resolutions. Ubisoft described this as creating “systematic obstruction, impeding the proper functioning of the company.”

Ubisoft posted positive earnings for the six-month period ending September 30, with games like The Division, Rainbow Six: Siege, and The Crew having more than 10 million registered players. Sales numbers were not released.

Relevant Articles

Comments Comments (6)

Posted by Bank
On Tuesday 8 Nov 2016 1:56 PM
ANOTHER STOCK! - DJ Khaled

Posted by ThatUndeadLegacy
On Tuesday 8 Nov 2016 2:01 PM
Im not surprised they want in the gaming industry again, it's an extremely big industry on par with Movies, Anime is also growing rapidly.

Posted by Nick2016NZ
On Tuesday 8 Nov 2016 3:12 PM
Boooooooo!! Booooooo I say!! Wait... this is a bad thing yes? I don't actually understand how these things work, I'm just jumping on the bandwagon

Posted by Tin-Automaton
On Tuesday 8 Nov 2016 3:24 PM
8 November 2016, 03:12 PM Reply to Nick2016NZ
As much as Ubisoft is derided for their actions, a Vivendi takeover could lead to an even less consumer-friendly company. Vivendi also has a flippant history with its investments, selling things off as needed.

Posted by ThatUndeadLegacy
On Tuesday 8 Nov 2016 4:27 PM
8 November 2016, 03:12 PM Reply to Nick2016NZ
Ubisoft is a god awful company true, but a god awful gaming company, Vivendi is not a gaming company.

Posted by ThatUndeadLegacy
On Tuesday 8 Nov 2016 4:28 PM
8 November 2016, 04:27 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
Edit* I'll be naive and say i hope Vivendi is only buying them to get some of the profits without interfering at all, but i highly highly doubt that.